Happy Sunday! I have been in the kitchen all morning making delicious snacks for this week, and a yummy Greek yogurt veggie dip for the Super Bowl tonight! Here are the apple, walnut and flax muffins:
I have been craving some muffins lately, and I found a great recipe on EatSeed. I didn’t have all of the ingredients, so I improvised a little bit. She used pumpkin seeds, which I did not have. I subbed ground walnuts instead. I also used a little more apple than what was called for because I love apples! And, I substituted plain Greek yogurt for the oil to up the protein and decrease the fat content. Typically I use applesauce in place of the oil to lower the fat (and increase the moisture), but I did not have applesauce and I need to work on getting more protein in my diet.
Here is the EatSeed recipe with my substitutions in parentheses:
Makes 12 small muffins or 8 large muffins
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed (I have the ground flax with berries in it)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon lite salt (I use Morton’s lite salt)
- 1/4 cup sugar (If you are watching your sugar intake, cut this in half or use a sugar substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I upped it to 3/4)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or sunflower oil (I substituted 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup soymilk (I used light vanilla) or 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pumpkin seeds (or any nut/seed you want, I used walnuts)
- 3/4 large apple
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.2. In a bowl, sift together both flours, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder. Stir in flax seed powder. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg whites with the oil and milk. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir. Then stir apples and walnuts into the batter.
4. Fill oiled muffin tin 2/3 full and bake 20-25 minutes.
Thank you EatSeed for the delicious recipe!! I will be enjoying these muffins all week!
Serving Size: 1 muffin (78.1g)
Calories from fat: 44
Total Fat: 4.9g
Saturated Fat: 0.6g
Trans Fat: 0g
|Vitamin A 0%||•||Vitamin C 2%|
|Calcium 5%||•||Iron 7%|
Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/apple-walnut-flax-muffins-recipe-r1274592#ixzz2Jr3MeebO