Happy New Years everybody! Hope you all enjoyed a relaxing day and I hope that you all ate your black-eyed peas and collard greens! Even if it is a superstition, I will take some extra good luck and money for 2015! If you are like me, you love a flavorful Southern collard green recipe. Hopefully, this one will not disappoint.
New Years Day Collard Greens
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Servings per recipe: app. 8
1 bunch (app. 2 lbs) collard greens
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
6 slices uncured bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup diced onions
5 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 tsp crushed cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut bacon into small pieces.
2. In a large stockpot, fry bacon until crisp tender.
3. Add diced onion and garlic and saute until clear.
4. Add cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar and chicken broth.
5. Cut collards into desired size and add to stockpot.
6. Simmer for approximately 1.5 hours (this will allow the stems to be tender and the leaves to be soft yet not mushy). Of course, cook for longer for more tender.
7. Enjoy and Happy New Years!